What Should I Write About?
(Seven Questions to Ask Yourself Before Picking a Book Topic)
Content is being thrown at your prospects every minute of every day, so it takes something special to stand out and get their attention. But, one of the most effective ways to do it is to write a book because there are far fewer books than other types of content out there. I know it may not seem that way, but it’s true.
There are 108 BILLION pieces of content created every month on Facebook, while there are only 50,000 books published each month. Now, that still might seem like too much competition, but it gets better. There are only 10–18 books on the front page of each Amazon page so if you optimize your book, you will be competing with 10–18 books.
And when Amazon sends out their marketing emails, they usually only recommend 3–10 books! So, when you market your book, Amazon sees that it’s doing well, and then Amazon will start marketing for you as well, and you book will end up in one or more of these emails!
But, what book should you write?
Before you decide what to write, you must know what makes you different and why people should listen to you. This means understanding what makes you unique.
If you don’t know this, you won’t know the best topic to write about, how to position it, what language to use for your book title and subtitle and for your Amazon description, and in your other marketing materials, so that your potential clients and customers realize your book is the one they need, and you are the ONLY person who can help them. And, that is how you make money. So, this is the best place to start….
To find your unique proposition, you must know:
- what you are passionate about
- what skills you possess that others want to learn that will make it easy for you to succeed
- what experiences you bring to the table that nobody else has
- what makes your different
- who your best target market will be (This can something be how you will be different-by catering to a different market than who your competitors are catering to.)
- what you will offer that will make you stand out from the crowd
- And, your BIG IDEA (the overall concept that will incorporate all the pieces of your business into something AWESOME!)
Once you create a profile of who you are and what you have to offer that only you can offer, it will be a lot easier to figure out what to write about and how to market yourself to grow a successful business!
Adapted from my book, How to Write a Quick Non-Fiction eBook….Guaranteed! Available on Amazon at: http://ellenlikes.com/quicknonfiction